2GB limit on samba and nfs?

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 27 02:16:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:21 am, Mike Burger wrote:
> Sorry for the cross post, but the environment calls for it.
>
> I'm running a RHL9 server, and an FC2 client.
>
> Whether by NFS or SMB, I'm running into the same problem.
>
> On my FC2 client system, I'm trying to create a 3.5GB file on the RHL9
> based server.  Every time I try, though, I get stuck at the 2GB mark.
>
> At present, I'm attempting to do this via x-cd-roast, which, of course,
> makes use of cdrecord(-prodvd).

It is my understanding that the ISO9660 file system has a file size limit of 2Gb;
although I have seen some reference to extensions for 4Gb.

I suggest you use 'dd' or some other utility to split the original before writing.

At the other end you can put the pieces back together easily enough with 'cat'.

You'll find video files on DVDs are split usually at around 1Gb.

I have been splitting backup files for transcription to DVDs.

Malcolm