Linux Rescue Mode Help

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Dec 28 22:15:40 UTC 2004

On December 28, 2004 01:59 pm, Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> Yeah I told it to boot in read/write mode but it doesn't ever
> mount my / partition on /tmp/sysimage I guess because I've commented
> it out in /etc/fstab.
> It's defined /as /dev/hda2 but I can't seem to figure out how
> to mount it on /tmp/sysimage within rescue mode.
>
> Dave.
>
> > From: Pete Nesbitt <pete at linux1.ca>
> > To: Dave Martini 1 <martini at raider.llnl.gov>, General Red Hat Linux
> > discussion
>
> list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
>
> > Subject: Re: Linux Rescue Mode Help
> > Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:16:50 -0800
> >
> > On December 28, 2004 11:49 am, Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> > > I commented out the /etc/fstab file entry for / and
> > > want to know how to fix this.
> > > I tried to boot from CD #1 in rescue mode but the file system
> > > is read only and won't let me edit the /etc/fstab file.
> > >
> > > I also tried booting in emergency mode and S mode and
> > > since / is commented out in /etc/fstab it doesn't show up.
> > >
> > > Is there anyway I can fix this?
> > >
> > > Thank You.
> > > David Martini
> > > LLNL
> >
> > David,
> > The rescue disk should give you the option to mount /tmp/sysimage as
> > read/write.
> >
> > Or, if it isn't working, post the RH version and disk information
> > (scsi?). --
> > Pete Nesbitt, rhce

David,
there is something else going on here because when a rescue disk mounts your
local disk it does not use /fstab from the to-be-mounted disk.

So if you let rescue mount the drive as read-only it mounts ok?
Try mounting it as read-only, then run fdisk to confirm the device & fs type.

When you tell it to mount as read-write what happens? (what does mount show
compared to in read-only?)

Is the / fs ext3?
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce