General restore procedures

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:55:50 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a general question about recovery procedures from a bare metal
system. This is covered briefly in the System Administration Guide,
but I don't complete follow it.

We have a server with a single hard drive, but room for two hard
drives.  We use Veritas NetBackup to backup that drive.  But it could
be tape, or anything else.  That's not really the issue.

Once we have a full backup of the drive, we want to simulate a
disaster recovery.  So we do a backup, remove the drive with out data
, and insert a fresh blank drive.

Vertias suggests that we install the RedHat OS onto the new drive,
insert a second drive into slot2, and restore onto slot2.  So I assume
I just partition the new drive in slot2 just like my recovery image
(with a big / and a small /boot).  That works.  But once we remove the
drive with the temporary copy of RedHat (slot1) and move the drive
with our restored data into slot1, it won't boot.

How do I make RedHat know that this is a bootable drive?  Or more
generically, do you have procedures for recovery from a full tape
backup.  Also, when I did the restore I had to mount the second drive
as /restore.  I assume I need to change that so the drive is now /

Thanks
Shane