General restore procedures

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Wed Dec 29 17:36:15 UTC 2004

On December 29, 2004 07:55 am, Shane Presley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a general question about recovery procedures from a bare metal
> system. This is covered briefly in the System Administration Guide,
> but I don't complete follow it.
>
> We have a server with a single hard drive, but room for two hard
> drives.  We use Veritas NetBackup to backup that drive.  But it could
> be tape, or anything else.  That's not really the issue.
>
> Once we have a full backup of the drive, we want to simulate a
> disaster recovery.  So we do a backup, remove the drive with out data
> , and insert a fresh blank drive.
>
> Vertias suggests that we install the RedHat OS onto the new drive,
> insert a second drive into slot2, and restore onto slot2.  So I assume
> I just partition the new drive in slot2 just like my recovery image
> (with a big / and a small /boot).  That works.  But once we remove the
> drive with the temporary copy of RedHat (slot1) and move the drive
> with our restored data into slot1, it won't boot.
>
> How do I make RedHat know that this is a bootable drive?  Or more
> generically, do you have procedures for recovery from a full tape
> backup.  Also, when I did the restore I had to mount the second drive
> as /restore.  I assume I need to change that so the drive is now /
>
> Thanks
> Shane

Hi Shane,
What happens when "it won't boot"?
You probably need to get GRUB (boot loader) onto the new disk's mbr.

if that's the case, it has been covered many times, but basicly:
boot CD #1, select rescue, mount the existing os as read/write, chroot
into /tmp/sysimage (the drive you want to make bootable), run grub.

hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce