General restore procedures

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Dec 29 17:39:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:55:50AM -0500, Shane Presley wrote:

> Vertias suggests that we install the RedHat OS onto the new drive,
> insert a second drive into slot2, and restore onto slot2.  So I assume
> I just partition the new drive in slot2 just like my recovery image
> (with a big / and a small /boot).  That works.  But once we remove the
> drive with the temporary copy of RedHat (slot1) and move the drive
> with our restored data into slot1, it won't boot.
>
> How do I make RedHat know that this is a bootable drive?

Boot into rescue mode and invoke grub-install.  You ended up restoring
all the partitions but not the master boot record.  grub-install will
put it back.

> Or more
> generically, do you have procedures for recovery from a full tape
> backup.  Also, when I did the restore I had to mount the second drive
> as /restore.  I assume I need to change that so the drive is now /

There's a difference between the mount points and the labels.  You
should have labeled the new partitions with the same labels as they had
to begin with.  Then, we you finally boot off the new drive, the fstab
will match what's actually on disk.  If not, you've got more work to do
while in rescue mode.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA