General restore procedures

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 16:40:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:39:35 -0600, Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> wrote:
> Boot into rescue mode and invoke grub-install.  You ended up restoring
> all the partitions but not the master boot record.  grub-install will
> put it back.

That's the path that I've heard recommended, but it's not working for
me.  Basically I have two drives (both empty and formatted).  I
installed redhat (fresh install) onto drive #2 /dev/sdb.  I then mount
the first drive as /restore.  I have veritas dump my backup onto
/restore.

I remove drive #2 and obviously /dev/sda doesn't boot.  "Grub Error".
So you're right, sounds like the MBR isn't there.

I put the rescue disk in, put linux rescue, and when it tries to mount
the drive it says "An error occurred trying to mount some or all of
your system.  Some of it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage".

So it can't even mount the restored drive.  Not sure why?  At this
point I assume a grub-install won't work.  Or maybe I just don't know
how to do it?

Thanks,
Shane