RH Fedora network interfaces

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 19 09:47:18 UTC 2004

Chris wrote:

  > I can bring up and down both interfaces after a cold boot and
everything works
> great.  But if I do a warm boot, the problem comes back to life - RH9 / Fedora
> Core 1 will not see network ports.
>
> I have downloaded the latest Intel drivers for this card, Pro/100 82559, and
> when I 'make install' it goes okay but the last line says:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2149.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/e100.o
>
> Is this a cause for concern?  (I am not physically in front of the server as I
> write this so I didn't want to remotely reboot the sucker in case it doesn't
> come back up and I have to drive to the datacenter again).

I'm not a guru on compiling stuff, so I'm afraid you're on your own
there, but I wouldn't reboot that server either at this point.

> I did some digging on the error message above and in somewhat similar cases
> (problems with getting network ports to work properly), I can also add that my
> /etc/modules.conf has:
>
> alias eth0 e100
> alias eth1 e100
>
> which appears to be correct.  The only other thing someone else had posted on a
> vaguely related subject was that in his case some of the bootup scripts were
> trying to access network ports ahead of 'ifconfig eth0 up' which was running
> much later on in the bootup process.  Could this be a similar problem?  Where
> can I look for the order this gets loaded in and where can I change it so that
> 'ifconfig eth0 up' runs later in the process?  (if that is a problem, that is)

I personally don't think so. How does a cold boot versus a warm boot
alter the boot up process? In my opinion it does not.

I'm really still of the view that the card is left in an unstable
command state upon re-booting the server. A cold boot will reset the PCI
bus, hence the cards, whereas a warm boot does not. I really feel this
is the problem.

If it worked in 7.3 as you say, check the version number of the 7.3 e100
modules and see if they will compile under 9/FC1 maybe?

I'm running out of suggestion here :(

Regards,
Ed.