Email addresses spoofing

Craig Daters craig at westpress.com
Thu Feb 19 15:27:01 UTC 2004

>Hello,
>
>First, thanks to all that replied to my message asking about this topic.
>
>I have another question regarding this topic: what if the sysadmin on top of
>sending us a message saying that we'd sent a virus put us on a black
>list...? Then no real message from our domain could be send to them...!
>
>(I know, it's stupid but some people are acting like that!!! With the best
>intentions...!!!)
>
>Regards,
>Tomás

If the SysAdmin is worth his weight, then he
should have an admin at his_domain.com address (or
postmaster account) that allows email from
anyone, black hole list or not.

Before I ditched using RBL's all together, this
was how we had our system set up. RBL's became
such a hassle and some really prominant ones
disappeared that I was looking for an alternative
(not to mention that I was having more and more
of our clients ending up on them, and more and
more spam was getting through, go figure...!)

I since have moved to using a
MailScanner/MailWatch/ClamAV/SpamAssassin
solution with ActiveSpamKiller (ASK) along with
Sendmail, and what a difference it has made. Spam
went to 0% overnight, with no false positives or
false negatives so far. What is more, is that
with ASK, my users take care of their own
white/black listing themselves via email. I have
not had to intervene yet! And I feel that our
Windows workstations are more secure if not
immune from Viri.

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator
West Press Printing