File transfers between linux and windows?

Allingham, Richard RAllingham at imgworld.com
Fri Feb 20 03:12:05 UTC 2004

> Eric Evans said:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > On a dual-OS PC that has both Windows and RH Linux, what's
> the best way
> > to  transfer files from the Windows side to the Linux side or vice
> > versa?  I  thought I heard somewhere that if you create a third
> > partition that is FAT,  that you could access that
> partition from either
> > the Windows and Linux  partitions, so you could use this
> third partition
> > as a way to transfer  files back and forth.  Is there any
> truth to this?
> >  If so, how do you go  about accessing this FAT partition
> from Linux?
>
> Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)
> Wow.  I have a dual-boot computer at home, but I don't think
> I've accessed
> the Winderz side since I built the box back in January 2003.
>
> Having said that, yes, a FAT32 partition is the way to go.
> Linux can read
> FAT but not NTFS, and Windows can read FAT but not ext3.

There are drivers available that allow Linux to mount an NTFS partition read-only and one to allow Windows to mount ext2/3 partitions again read-only. Depends on why you need to access files on both OSs as to whether this will suffice. http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ has the details.

Richard.

DISCLAIMER - The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments)
contains information that may be confidential, may be protected by the
attorney-client or other applicable privileges, or may constitute non-public
information.  It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s) named above.  If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then
delete all copies of it from your computer system.  Any use, dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is
not authorized and may be unlawful. The contents of this communication do
not necessarily represent the views of this company.