Fate of RedHat

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Feb 22 23:16:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:56:42PM +1300, Steve wrote:
> Their "Free to download" product they moved to another department and
> called it "Fedora" (actually, I think fedora was already running as a
> project but redhat have now invested heavily in them - feel free to

It's important to note that Red Hat has *MORE* developers working on
Fedora than they had on Red Hat Linux.  Red Hat has not abolished the
freely downloadable frequently updated model.

> Their "Next redhat release" they made available via purchase only and have
> called this "RedHat Workstation" of which there are a number of different
> flavors with varying pricing points.

The purchase-only version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux and is available
at different price points depending on your support requirements and
package requirements.  Red Hat Professional Workstation is technically
equivalent to Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS expect that it includes
product updates only and not telephone support.

If you used to pay $40 to buy a boxed set of Red Hat Linux and paid $60
for RHN, then Red Hat Professional Workstation is actually cheaper for
you and gives you a much longer life cycle than RHL gave you.

> People get very agrivated over this and feel RedHat has betrayed them by
> trying to work toward a more commercial focus and feel this is
> justification to tell the world that they intend on moving to <insert
> other distribution from the list of hundreds here>
>
> Someone should write a FAQ.

Some people should subscribe to redhat-watch-list where this was
announced well over a year ago.  RHN subscribers also got notified.  It
was all over Red Hat's website too.  Those who were surprised were
asleep at the wheel...

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org