Fate of RedHat

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Mon Feb 23 21:10:00 UTC 2004

On February 23, 2004 05:56 pm, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 04:51 2/23/2004, you wrote:
> >People who went to qualify as a RHCE had a similar problem [...]
> >The qualification only covers the release
> >current at the point of the exam, plus the next release. This means that
> > the people who have spent a lot of money have been short-changed.
>
> Not true. Given earlier policies, an RHCE certification was likely to be
> good for about three years, and the person certified was (in the real
> world) going to have to be comfortable with roughly three major releases or
> risk looking foolish at work for not knowing a bunch of release-specific
> stuff. And he/she would make RH and the cert look bad if that happened.
>
> Under the new policies, with RHEL releases every 12-18 months, one can see
> that RHCE's need only know *two* major releases, and their cert is still
> likely to last for two or three years. And the level of expertise which is
> actually delivered to the customer is, on average, likely to increase
> slightly. Most RHCE's take care to stay fully current... this will force
> the laggard few to pick up their heels.
>
> I see no harm.

Rodolfo,
you are correct. Here is a snip from an email I received from Red Hat last
March:
The validity period for all RHCEs and RHCTs is now officially pegged to
the release of the Enterprise product commercially available at the time
certification was earned, and certification shall be current until after
one (1) major release of the Enterprise product. All RHCEs earned on Red
Hat Linux 7.3 or prior will be considered current until the release of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS 4. All RHCEs and RHCTs earned on Red
Hat Linux 8.0 or 9 will remain current until the release of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5. Validity and current status of an RHCE certificate
will continue to be verified at Certification Central.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce