Fate of RedHat

Dave Ihnat ignatz at dminet.com
Mon Feb 23 22:04:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:49:26PM -0600, John Nichel wrote:
> It is a business.  Red Hat's business, not yours.  You're complaint is
> that their business model does not suit you.  It doesn't give YOU the
> options that YOU need to sell THEIR product?  So you want to continue
> reaping the benifits of a free Red Hat to make a buck for yourself?

I never used any free RedHat distribution; my clients and always paid
for software and RHN.  As have I.  The problem is that Linux is fighting
the entrenched monoculture.  With this move, the benefits aren't as
obvious to potential clients; the risks are still there.  It's harder
to sell.

And my business IS RedHat's.  If I can't sell clients on the idea of
changing to Linux, RedHat doesn't sell.  Period.

> Again, you want them to mold their business model to you.

I want them to provide a product.  I want that product to meet MY needs, yes.
If it doesn't, I don't buy it.  What part of a free market economy don't you
understand?

> As for *fair*, do you honestly think it's fair for you to turn your
> back ("I'll have to leave") on Red Hat, a company which has given your
> their product for free for years?

They may have given product free to someone else, but never to me.
By my choice.

And what's "fair" got to do with it?

Repeat after me:  Business. Relationship.  You sell me what I need, I'll
buy and market it.

> In 81?  I was writing Dungeons and Dragons' programs in BASIC for Atari
> systems.  Want to compare the size of our pocket protectors next?

No, but I WAS showing that I've got the miles and scars to know both the
tech and business side of things.

> Nobody is making you force anything on your clients.  You and your
> clients just have to make a choice now; Pay a bit for Red Hat's services
> and software, compile from source for free, or go to another vendor.
> I don't see anyone forcing you or your clients to do anything.

True.  And I could do that quietly, never letting RedHat know it's making
long-term customers unhappy, and why.

Instead I choose to give them feedback.  Not whining about "losing
freebies", but providing business-oriented input.  They can do what they
want with it, including ignoring it.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	ignatz at dminet.com