MaxDB vs MySQL

Hamilton Andrew Andrew.Hamilton at afccc.af.mil
Tue Feb 24 12:16:01 UTC 2004

The way I read it, and this is just my interpretation of it, is that the two
are not the same and one does not require the other.  I haven't tried this
but I see no reason you couldn't run them both.  You may have to tweak the
configuration of one or the other to make sure you don't try to listen on
the same port.  MaxDB may be great but with all those extra features it
probably uses a lot more system resources, I use MySQL because it doesn't
consume a lot of system resources and is faster that way.  I have no need of
the features in MaxDB and wouldn't use it if it was the same as Oracle with
a large footprint.  I certainly hope they continue to develop against the
MySQL line because to me faster is better.

Regards,

Drew