Redhat Cert update (off spring of Fate or Redhat)

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Feb 24 13:03:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:45:34PM -0500, James Marcinek wrote:
> $250 per year is steep. You have to figure that Red Hat will only be
> releasing RHEL at 18 to 24 month intervals, not 12 months. All 6 exams I
> took for the MCSE were in this ball park and the MCSE for NT is still
> valid (as far as I know) but even still that's been since 2000 and the
> cert was available even before then.

Part of the issue is that an MCSE certified on NT probably isn't very
useful for doing difficult work on on 2003.

For the certification to be useful in the marketplace, it needs to be
current.  An old certification that you got by taking a crash course in
a week and passing the exam isn't useful today.

The RHCE is one of the top certifications for good reasons - you
actually have to know the stuff and you're relatively current.

The more time passes by, the farther behind you get.  4 years ago Red
Hat was shipping 6.2 I think (I'd verify this but I hope you get my
point).

> I was under the impression that the certification was supposed to be good
> for 2 releases so if it's 18-24 month per release (lets take 24 for the
> math), that would mean the cert would be good for 4 years, which isn't
> bad.

As I stated earlier, the *published* release cycle is 12-18 months.
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org