Spam Filter

Craig Daters craig at westpress.com
Wed Feb 25 17:33:01 UTC 2004

>hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:
>>  Look into procmail for filtering. There was alot of suggestions
>
>procmail+bogofilter is really good and easy.

MailScanner+SpamAssassin with Bayes and SA Custom rules is just as
easy to set up and use. It is very configurable. Tack on ClamAV and
bingo! Spam and Virus checking. Add MailWatch and Active Spam Killer
(ASK) and you have a kick-butt mail system. You can even work
procmail+bogofilter into this scenario!

Some Links:

http://www.mailscanner.info - MailScanner

http://www.mailscanner.info/install/spamassassin.shtml - MailScanner
w/SpamAssassin - Though I used the RPM's from the SpamAssassin.org
site and MailScanner worked just fine.

http://www.mailscanner.info/serve/cache/275.html - SA Custom Rules
sets. 'Rules Du Jour' is awesome at downloading more common 'rules
sets' that catch most spam when there are updates.

http://www.clamav.net - ClamAV Virus Scanner, loaded right from
tarball, edit .conf file and walah! Set up Freshclam to pull down
auto updates and your done!

http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net - Web-based front-end for
MailScanner, installs in minutes and keeps track of statistics, even
generates graphs! You can view messages that are quarantined. You can
even use it to feed SA-Learn, SpamAssassin's bayesian filter, from
quarantined messages. I also have spam trap email addresses set up
for this purpose.

http://www.paganini.net/ask - Active Spam Killer. I added this as a
final catch all for spam that does end up getting through (though
this is rare) to the user. This is a challenge/respond system where
senders that are not already on a whitelist must 'validate' simply by
replying to a confirmation message. Works much like a mail list does,
and end users can configure/manage everything through email once it
is setup.

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator
West Press Printing