Mixing IDE and IDE-SCSI emulation on a Channel

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Fri Feb 27 08:48:08 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I recently put in a CD-RW drive in my system, and make it the master drive on
the secondary channel (hdc). The CD Rom drive that was already there becomes
the slave hdd.
Following the CD-Writing-Howto, I finally figure out how to use
cdrecord/xcdroast and that I have to use the CD-RW as a SCSI device using the
ide-scsi emulation module (the Redhat doc in redhat site is horrible and not
helping by the way).

But I still can't figure out how to play regular CD player, or rip a CD to mp3
using grip on that CD-RW drive, which acts as if it were a SCSI device. No
problem, I thought, I just use the other CD-rom drive. However, when ripping
a CD, I notice that the performance is kinda slower than usual. For example,
lame would have to sit idle waiting for the ripping to complete, when usually
the ripping of 1 CD would complete and lame would be behind like 75 % of
completion.
Another problem, I have found the CD-ROM device to generate errore like below,
2 times after I installed the CD-RW:

kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}
kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d

Once it makes the system hung intermittenly, it almost crashed the system. But
I managed to reboot and it seems that it fixed the problem (at least up till
now). I don't know if this just coincidence of has anything to do with the
newly installed CD-RW.

So, no real quantitative assesment yet (not sure how to do that),  but I am
wondering if mixing the IDE-SCSI simulated device (CD-RW) and IDE/ATAPi
device (CD-rom) in a single channel as Master and Slave would make my CD-ROM
slower and generate those problems.

Any info / comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja