cli to track app utilizing CPU

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Fri Feb 27 16:18:04 UTC 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 04:07 pm, a s p a s i a wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have 12gig of RAM; checking top i noticed
> that i only have aroun 500mb fee memory ...
> though it shows percentage of memory utilized
> by an app ... is there a CLI that I can use to
> exactly trace which application or process is
> using most of my memory, and exactly how much?

Usually the kernel cache the memory so that it can access it faster. If I am
not mistaken, "free" and "top" shows the memory left that are not cached. The
cached memory is not necessarily used by the application (yet).

If you use "free", the second line that says "-/+ buffers/cache:" shows you
how much memory is actually use by apps, and how much is cached.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

HTH.

RDB
--