File transfers between linux and windows?

Hi folks,

On a dual-OS PC that has both Windows and RH Linux, what's the best way to transfer files from the Windows side to the Linux side or vice versa? I thought I heard somewhere that if you create a third partition that is FAT, that you could access that partition from either the Windows and Linux partitions, so you could use this third partition as a way to transfer files back and forth. Is there any truth to this? If so, how do you go about accessing this FAT partition from Linux?

Thanks a lot,
Eric