File transfers between linux and windows?

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Feb 19 15:10:03 UTC 2004

Eric Evans said:
> Hi folks,
>
> On a dual-OS PC that has both Windows and RH Linux, what's the best way
> to  transfer files from the Windows side to the Linux side or vice
> versa?  I  thought I heard somewhere that if you create a third
> partition that is FAT,  that you could access that partition from either
> the Windows and Linux  partitions, so you could use this third partition
> as a way to transfer  files back and forth.  Is there any truth to this?
>  If so, how do you go  about accessing this FAT partition from Linux?

Wow.  I have a dual-boot computer at home, but I don't think I've accessed
the Winderz side since I built the box back in January 2003.

Having said that, yes, a FAT32 partition is the way to go.  Linux can read
FAT but not NTFS, and Windows can read FAT but not ext3.

Personally, since I have two separate computers at home (a WinXP laptop
and a RH8 desktop), I stopped doing this months ago.  Instead I have a CVS
repository of all of my datafiles on a third computer in my house, and I
just work off of that, updating the files on my laptop with cvs update
through Cygwin when I need to work on them, and on my desktop with cvs
update when I use that computer.  Of course I have to remember to commit
and add and all that, but all in all it's turned out to be a great
solution for me.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore