Help, my system died - stuck at GRUB

j. gomez jg573 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 12:31:09 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have (well, more like had) a Thinkpad X20 Laptop
dual booting between Redhat 9 & XP Pro .

Everything was working fine, then last nite I
accidentally lifted it off the docking base while in
the middle of a X-windows/Gnome session doing some
suring.
It froze hard.
I had no choice but to power cycle it & reboot.

When it came back it gave me the Grub boot menu, I
selected Linux again.
When I got into the shell it started giving me disk
errors.
Then it froze up/became unresponsive before I could
run an fsck.
It started freaking out, I got 'bad magic number
errors', i/o / disk errors, etc...

I rebooted again, this time GRUB menu did not show up.
Instead it give me some GRUB shell with just a GRUB
command prompt "grub>"
It says to hit TAB for info on commands & what not.
I am stuck here.

I don't have any boot disks with me & was wondering if
there is anyway I can force GRUB to boot at least XP,
or Linux preferably.
Any ideas?
I am new to Grub & Redhat 9 so forgive me if this is
newbie'ish.

I am stuck & out of town on biz travel with  an
incapacitated laptop now (not good).
If anyone could offer some help with this I'd  be very
grateful...

Thanks...