Fate of RedHat

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Feb 22 13:50:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:26:39PM -0500, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> I'd be happy to pay for the updates, just don't care for the telephone
> support, etc.

Then Red Hat Professional Workstation may be for you.  It's effectively
RHEL WS without support - you get a full year of updates and a
multi-year life cycle.  It sells for about $80-85 which is in the same
range as the old RHL releases plus RHN.

Pro Workstation includes many but not all server pieces.  You get
sendmail, postfix, nfs server, samba, and apache but don't get bind nor
ldap servers.

Although there are multiple RHEL clones out (Whitebox LInux, etc) and
Red Hat does not have a problem with those being available, they can't
give you the prompt security fixes that Pro Workstation with your
included RHN subscription will give you.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org