Fate of RedHat

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sun Feb 22 13:52:04 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 12:22 pm, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> I was just wondering if there is a general concensus (sp) of what everyone
> is planning to do when RedHat 9.0 is no longer supported?
>
> Are most going to the Fedora Project or paying to go to the Enterprise
> Linux?

I'm using Fedora for some workstations and non-critical (web) server that we
have here which mostly just for the internal development / testing / server
to share our work, etc.
We are using RHEL 3 WS for our production server that host serveral education
websites and mail server. We got the price break because we moved before
feburary (or something like that). Next year is going to be even better with
Academic version.

For my own workstation I'm using RHEL 3 WS Academic version , which is a very
good price I think.

> The EL is freely available for download in .iso form on the internet if you
> "look".  Would I get in trouble for installing it?  I really don't care to
> pay for support anyway.

I don't know about that, but eventhough if you download them, you'll get no
support from Redhat, no updates, etc.

On Sunday 22 February 2004 12:26 pm, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> Let me re-phrase that:
>
> I'd be happy to pay for the updates, just don't care for the telephone
> support, etc.

There is the options of Redhat Professional Workstation, which is basically
RHEL WS for a much reduced price. You get the box and the RHN subscribtion
for updates. Check the RH website.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja