Fate of RedHat

Steve steve at focb.co.nz
Sun Feb 22 16:32:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Ravi Verma wrote:

> Dear Friends:

[ fanatical rant snipped ]

Possibly is is so that Oracle (who's market is not the general home user
or small business, but rather the larger business sector) can ensure that
their software will be installed on a system that they know will have
support from another commercial entity.

While it will not be foolproof - it will mean that if something is found
to be an OS bug then Oracle can say to the customer "I would suggest that
you take this up with your OS vendor to fix" and leave it at that instead
of getting into the OS market and having to release "Oracle patches" to
the customers OS.

If you dont like it - then use another database product, switch to debian,
go the unsupported route, but ranting like this just shows your lack of
understanding of the requirements of the larger business sector and how
they differ from smaller organisations. Complaining to the redhat mailing
list is probably not going to get any of your issues solved.

At least the larger corporates like Oracle have started to recognise that
Linux is a viable OS and has reached maturity - and are supporting it as
best they know how - who knows, if other Linux OS vendors prove to have a
stable and _supported_ (read: commercially) platform then you may find
that these get Oracle ports as well - and this in turn leads to the
ability to run it on unsupported linux distributions as well. As linux
advocates we should be thankful for this, it shows that we are doign
things right and that we are getting the word out there. Give the market
time and be thankful in the fact that we are further along and have more
commercial support than we did 13 years ago.

Ranting like this really achieves nothing except to show your lack of
understanding.

--
Steve.