Fate of RedHat

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Feb 22 20:04:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 04:56, Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Robert Canary wrote:
>
> > Okay I'll ask agin...
> >
> > Why is this subject comming up?  There is
> > obviously something I have missed....where is
> > RedHat going? and why did you mention 9.0
> > specifically?
>
> RedHat have changed their operational model.
>
> RedHat 9.0 is mentioned especially as that is the last "RedHat supported"
> product in the line of "freely downloadable supported redhat releases"
>
> Their "Free to download" product they moved to another department and
> called it "Fedora" (actually, I think fedora was already running as a
> project but redhat have now invested heavily in them - feel free to
> correct this)
>
> Their "Next redhat release" they made available via purchase only and have
> called this "RedHat Workstation" of which there are a number of different
> flavors with varying pricing points.
>
> People get very agrivated over this and feel RedHat has betrayed them by
> trying to work toward a more commercial focus and feel this is
> justification to tell the world that they intend on moving to <insert
> other distribution from the list of hundreds here>

Actually, there are plenty of reasons why I'll be switching to SuSE or
Debian, and the change in RH's business model is just one -- a major
one, of course, but just one.  I did enjoy Red Hat's customer service
model to their non-corporate but paying customers over the years since
I've been running it (I always purchased the shrinkwrapped version of
their OS) and I'm sorry to see it go.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford