Need help setting up USB Cell Phone modem

Billy Davis bdavis at cds-corp.com
Mon Feb 23 18:33:02 UTC 2004

I have been unsuccessfully trying to use my Motorola v60c
cell phone as a modem attached to my Redhat 9 laptop (via
a USB cable), to properly dial, connect and logon to a remote
Redhat 9 Server.  I have reviewed web notes of other peoples
attempts to do this, and one person even claims that this is
supported by 'out of the box' Redhat.  When I plug my phone
into the USB port on the laptop, I get the following messages
in /var/log/messages:

    hub.c: new USB device 00:0c.0-1, assigned address 2
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x22b8/0x5) is not claimed by any active driver
    /etc/hotplug/usb.agent ... no modules for USB product 22b8/5/1

Then, when I use 'cu -l' with various device names (such as ttyUSB0,
 ttyACM0, ttyS0, etc), I cannot get a connection.  Can
anyone help???

Thanks,
bdavis