Fate of RedHat

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Feb 23 22:40:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 01:01:08PM -0600, Mailing Lists wrote:
> Will updates to these unsupported products be continued, or will they
> die off too?

Red Hat won't be providing errata - hence the word unsupported.  You may
be able to get updates elsewhere, both commercial and free.

I've been supporting an unsupported 6.1 system for quite some time.
When vulnerabilities were announced, I grabbed the packages from other
sources and rebuilt them as required.

Don't forget that if you are a home user, the vast majority of the
errata that normally get released won't apply to you anyway.  Most of
them are local user exploits, yet you're the only user and hopefully
have root access.  Many others are for packages that people can't access
through your firewall anyway.  If you don't run sendmail and there's a
remotely exploitable sendmail vulnerability, do you care?  Of course
not.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org