Fate of RedHat

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Mon Feb 23 23:13:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:51:42AM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> People who went to qualify as a RHCE had a similar problem (I think, never
> agreed with anyone being called and 'Engineer' under such a sustem as this -
> try having this conversation with an electrical engineer or a construction
> engineer and see what they think).  The qualification only covers the release
> current at the point of the exam, plus the next release. This means that the
> people who have spent a lot of money have been short-changed.

Utter and complete crap.  Red Hat announced a change in their policy so
that nobody was short-changed.  Give Red Hat a break!  Obviously you're
not an RHCE, since they were notified of the changes.

> On a personal note I have not yet looked into prices of the current offerings
> so I can't comment, but if Fedora is basically a replacement for RawHide I
> won't be using it on any of my production boxes.

Not have you not looked at pricing, but you haven't looked at the
product either.  Fedora is not a replacement for Rawhide - it's a
replacement for Red Hat Linux.  Rawhide continues at it always has.
Fedora has frozen release cycles - Rawhide does not.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org