Custom Error Pages for Apache

redhat redhat at lokrin.net
Tue Feb 24 23:51:01 UTC 2004

Pete Nesbitt wrote:

>On February 24, 2004 09:10 am, Srinivas Koppisetti wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>We want to display custom error pages based on the user directory. This
>>page will only disply when they dont have access to see that page.
>>Obviously we are using htaccess directory access file. I was wondering how
>>we can do it in apache? Also I want to develop an interface that validates
>>a user to this htaccess encripted password.
>>
>>How do we approach these issues?
>>
>>Thanks in Adv for you help.
>>
>>Srinivas'
>>

>Hi,
>Have a look at the apache site (httpd.apache.org). There is a directive you
>can add to each directory stanza (or global) that defines what error page to
>display.  Check their docs, but I think it is something like:
>ErrorDocument 404 /path_to/file
>
>You may also want to use the config file directory stanzas to do your access
>control instead of leaving the htaccess file in the document area.
>
>If by "develop an interface" you mean the pop-up login box, sorry, I can't
>help.

If you want different errors in different directories, then put an
.htaccess in the directory and link it to the error page as above:

ErrorDocument XXX /path_to/file

For XXX use the correct error number.  404 is a PAGE NOT FOUND.  You
wanted a 401 AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED.

Mostly only the 400s are used.  You can check your logs to see if any
particular errors show up more than others or several times.

*Client Request Errors*
400 	Bad Request
401 	Authorization Required
402 	Payment Required (not used yet)