Apache question,

I got my Apache up and running and can access the server through my static IP adress. But I want to register a domain to point to my server IP. How do I do it? Is there any annual fee to Internic or Versign? Can I maintain the domain name myself?
And do I need a DNS server locally or can I use my ISP DNS server?