redhat-config-* (was Re: redhat--config-network corrupts my hosts-file)

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:32:01 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 12:19 pm, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Until the GUI tools are bulletproof I would advise to stay away. They are
> supposed to make configuration easier but all that the really do is create
> confusion (on the system) and dumb-down the admin.

Hmm.. I may not aggree with the generalization. If the problem was with
redhat--config-network only, than let's keep it that way, don't over
generalize.

I have been using and managing Redhat linux for a while, and I started all
with just command line. But I also like using some of the GUI tools, ie.
redhat-config-*, recently for practical purposes. The config-users is nice
for quickly managing users and groups, changing passwords, set expiration
date for accounts, etc, without manually editing the file (/etc/passwd, ...)

Last time I actually "learn" how to use the GUI tool for configuring samba
(following the doc in redhat.com site) just for fun, and to see if it
actually does it correctly (and it did).

So, some of those may have bugs. That's normal. If you wanna help contribute
something, then report the bug to Redhat. But if one does not comfortable
with GUI, then I guess that's OK too.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja