having trouble finding packages...

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Feb 26 22:13:07 UTC 2004

On February 26, 2004 11:27 am, Eric Evans wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install the kernel development package from the Red Hat
> installation CDs, and when I do so I get this error message saying that the
> following packages are not installed and need to be installed first:
>
> redhat-config-securitylevel
> redhat-config-printer-gui
> libmikmod.so.2
>
> I'm unable to figure out where these packages are located in order to
> install them.  Can anybody help me out here?  Thanks very much.
>
> Eric

The actual package will depend on your version of Red Hat, but use this method:
1) find the file your missing:
$ which redhat-config-securitylevel
/usr/bin/redhat-config-securitylevel

2) see what it really is (line may wrap):
$ ls -alF /usr/bin/redhat-config-securitylevel
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Dec 26 12:12 /usr/bin/redhat-config-securitylevel -> consolehelper*

3) see what rpm supplies it.
$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/consolehelper
usermode-1.69-1

4) If they are spread across multiple cd's you may want to copy all
requirements to disk then querry all for more deps:
rpm -i --test *.rpm
(you don't need the --test, but it makes me feel safer using it:)

The files your looking for are all symlinks so you first need to find the real
file, then querry rpm.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce