Imap Problems

I am in the process of setting up squirrelmail on a RedHat 9 server. I have the following installed.

squirrelmail-1.2.11-1
httpd-2.0.40-21.9
php-4.2.2-17.2
imap-2001a-18

netstat -l | grep imap shows that it is listening

tcp        0      0 *:imap                  *:*                   LISTEN

The problem is that I cannot telnet to localhost (or from anywhere else) to port 143. Everything seems to be running but imap does the following when i attempt to connect.

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I have googled and found other issues with imap, but cant pin this problem down. Any ideas?