printing

A very simple question about printing, which is one thing I've never had to set up before.

I want to offer print services to Windows and Mac (OSX) clients to a RH 8 server. Mainly I want to share an HP DeskJet 690c and I'm having trouble figuring out the best method. I'm running SAMBA and Netatalk and there's always LPR. But should I run CUPS and how does that integrate into SAMBA and Netatalk?

I'm connecting the Deskjet via a parallel to USB converter and it seems to be being seen, so it's a question of drivers. Will the recommended HPIJS handle such a USB-parallel conversion?

Any understandable HOWTOs recommended?

Ken  G i l l e t t