ntpd failed to start

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Sun Feb 29 23:07:42 UTC 2004

It seems that you have some kind of network problem which prevents
'ntpdate' (the program which runs at the moment indicated by the
message "Synchronizing with time server")
from working correctly at the time when it runs during the
boot process. At some later stage of boot process tne network settings
are reconfigured and new settings allow ntpdate to work, so you could
start ntpd service manually after login.
I think that you could have problems with name resolution (for example,
you specify NTP servers by their DNS names and use local DNS server
which starts after the NTP service), or your firewall settings may
prevent NTP traffic to flow at that stage of boot process.
If you internet connection is not permanent, it is possible that at
the time of starting of ntpd service the network connection stills not
established.
Also note that ntpdate program may write some message to syslog
explaining the problem
which occurred during time sinchronization.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com