apt or yum? preferences?

Eucke euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Mon Jul 5 23:38:29 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen W" <winstephen at yahoo.com>
To: "linux users" <linux at flux.org>; "RH discussion" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 4:00 PM
Subject: apt or yum? preferences?

> Have never used either APT or YUM.
> There seems to be no clear cut preference...
>
> APT appears to be based on Debiam
> YUM on YellowDog ...
>
> Neither is RH, but both seem to be workable and APT
> seems to be simpler (a real plus for this neophyte).
>
> Suggestions and advise from those who may have used
> wither or both.
>
> I am currently using RH 9.0
>
> Thanks you
> StephenW

Stephen,

I am a relative neophyte too...I tried Yum on RH8 and was frustrated.  In
all fairness RH8 Yum is not ready for prime time.  I upgraded to RH9 and ran
apt-get and it works very nicely....I can wholeheartedly recommend it to
you.  I cannot speak for or against yum for RH9 as I have not worked with it
but apt works well.  I will tell you that apt will not apply kernel patches
unles you specifically tell it to do so.

Eucke