sendmail waiting at boot time

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 6 05:25:38 UTC 2004

Anish Mathew wrote:

> sendmail is trying to identify the FQDN ie why it's
> waiting
> if u want to avoid starting sendmail while booting
> use
> chkconfig --level 35 sendmail off
>
> if u want to change the settings permanently in the
> sendmail configuration file
> edit the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and regenerate the
> sendmail.cf file.. but i dont know which option go
> with the sendmail.mc
>
> i am not a sendmail expert
>
> so sendmail gurus please comment.
>
> well i have a question now
> can we edit the
>  /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> and add Dj$w.{your-domain}..
>
> to avoid sendmail hanging for a while when booting..
> is that the right way.. ?
>
> Anish

This is called hi-jacking a thread Anish, and frowned upon. You need to
start a new thread if you want to ask a question.

In regards to your question, yes you can edit the sendmail.cf.

In regards to your other question - no, it is not the generally accepted
way.

Have a look at sendmail.org for configuration examples to see what you
should be using, but if you don't understand, let me know (in a new
thread!!!), and I will try to help you out further.

Regards,
Ed.