iptables and mysql...

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Jul 6 10:14:26 UTC 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:48 AM, Crucificator wrote:

> Dear Jason, most NA are probably giggling at your comment. I currently
> administer such a server wich serves tunneled dynamic HTTP for SQL for
> 42 locations country-wide. We DO NOT have redundant servers. Have you
> heard of RAID solutions? And it saves bandwidth, time and money as
> well. I believe the lack of experience lies elsewere...

I don't wish to continue a pissing contest, only to correct the flow of
misinformation.

Are you suggesting that RAID is _the_ answer to HA+ solutions?  I work
with fully dynamic failover designs utilizing clustering software
(Veritas VCS, RAC, BitKeeper, etc), multipath software, clustered
hardware (redundant SAN switches/controllers), etc.  RAID does not
fulfill the role of any of these components, nor was it designed to.
It is an integral part of a solid HA+ design, but only one small part
of the overall schematic.

Secure transmission features, like those I mentioned earlier, are also
integral to designs where the data store must be kept separate from the
HTTP server (say, any e-commerce site).  If this type of feature wasn't
needed, I doubt the MySQL folks would've bothered to put it in.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting