filesize limit on ext3

mlmayo at texas.net mlmayo at texas.net
Wed Jul 7 21:12:22 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running RH Enterprise WS 3 with the default ext3 filesystem on
ia32. I've searched the web for an answer to my question but I'm getting
mixed results. I am running a numerical simulation that crashes with
the following error... file size limit exceeded. The file produced is
at 2GB when the simulation crashes. Is the file size limited to 2GB
on ext3? If so is there a way around this barrier? The output of
ulimit -a produces

core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 4
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

also, I am able to create *.tar files in excess of 2GB so this file size
exceeded error message is puzzling. Thank you for your time.

Michael
Mayo