how do you get the GUI after login?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Jul 8 20:13:14 UTC 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 20:30, Nguyen, Long P (Mission Systems) wrote:
> I did not install nor setup the machine...
> Could you give details for both, as in GUI login screen after each boot and
> to start a GUI session manually whenever. Thank you.
_please_ bottom -post, it makes things much more readable!
<answer continues at bottom>
much of what I have already posted answers your questions...
first, log in.
the # represents your shell prompt
1) check if your X-server is already configured:
# startx
2) if this doesn't work, switch users to 'root'
# su - root
<enter root password>
(root)# redhat-config-xfree86
check that you settings are correct for your monitor and videocard
(look on the 'Advanced' tab too, just to make sure...)
3) once you have finished this process and accepted the settings,
- switch back to your 'ordinary' account:
# exit
then test that your settings work:
# startx
 at this point you are able to start a graphical desktop manually.

to have a graphical login screen at you next boot:
you will need to be root for this too
3.5)
# su - root
4) edit /etc/inittab
# vi /etc/inittab
you should see a line, not too far down that says
id:3:initdefault:
edit this to say
id:5:initdefault:

5) to test this, chnage to runlevel 5
(as you just told the system to do at each boot)
# init 5

if all is well you should end up wih a graphical screen which asks you for
your username.

ps) there is no need to cc: me on these messages, just post to the list unless
I suggest oitherwise - others may benefit from your questions/answers

HTH

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX