Client not sync when NFS server move exported directory

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Fri Jul 9 05:38:08 UTC 2004

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a backup server that do backup of several remote machines using
>rsnapshot every 6 hours. Basically it takes snapshot of the remote machines
>and put it in hourly.0, hourly.1,hourly.2, hourly.3, and rotate the backup
>everyday.
>
>>From the backup server I exported the hourly.2 directory, and mount using NFS
>from, say, my workstation.
>
>When rsnapshot run, it basically does;
>1. rm hourly.3
>2. mv hourly.2 to hourly.3
>3. mv hourly.1 to hourly.2
>4. cp hourly.0 to hourly.1
>5. rsync hourly.0 with the most current snapshot.
>
>After every snapshot run, when I try to access the NFS mounted directory from
>my workstation, I think I actually see the moved directory, that is I see
>hourly.3 instead of hourly.2 (because of step 2 above). If I unmount then try
>to mount again, I'd get 'permission denied'. The only way I can fix it is to
>restart nfs service from the backup server, then try mounting again.
>
>Is there a better way to do this? Of cource I can just put all those as cron
>jobs, but if there's a way to keep my NFS mounted directory to sync with the
>new hourly.2 after rsnapshot run, that'd be great.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>Reuben D. Budiardja

Hi Reuben,

I would try creating shared directories hourly.0, hourly.1 etc, and then
1. rm hourly.3/hourly
2. mv hourly.2/hourly hourly.3/
3. mv hourly.1/hourly hourly.2/
4 cp hourly.0/hourly hourly.1/
5 rsync hourly.0/hourly with the most current snapshot.

That way you are not moving the shared directories, only the contents.

Regards,
Peter