problems receiving e-mail to my server redux

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jul 11 22:00:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 18:20, Ed McCorduck wrote:

> O.K., I hadn't set port 53 to be forwarded to 192.168.1.101, but I
> changed that but still any e-mail sent to me is bouncing. BTW, by saying
> "these ports" in your question above, did you mean that there's a
> separate port number for udp? All I saw on my router's configuration
> screen was that port 53 was for "DNS."

It would appear that your firewall setting are still not correct.

When I try to query your DNS server directly I get...

[root at misty egreshko]# host 24.24.15.155 24.24.15.155

And a capture on the network shows 24.24.15.155 is still returning an
ICMP message of "Destination unreachable" as previously noted.

I'm not familiar with the configuration of a Linksys router/firewall,
but generally speaking it should have a way to indicate that incoming
connections using TCP, UDP, or both should be redirected.  But, I guess
that isn't needed with Linksys since a quick check on their website
indicates....

"Under the "Forwarding" tab, enter the port(s) that your application
uses under the "Service Port" field(s) - type in a number for each of
the ports. Both the TCP and UDP ports are activated once you enter a
port number in the field."

Are you certain your nameserver is running?

If I do a:

host 172.16.155.44 172.16.155.44

where 172.16.155.44 is a server on my network *not* running a nameserver
I get a "Destination Unreachable" indication.

--
"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never
actually known what the question is."

--The computer "Deep Thought" in "Life, The Universe and Everything"