Problem: php not working with apache on RedHat 9.0

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Jul 13 18:49:37 UTC 2004

I found on one of the RedHat archives that said:

"I haven¹t checked the lists lateley, buI haven¹t checked the lists
lateley, but I do not believe PHP works with
Apache 2.x,  Upgrade/downgrape to apache 1.3x.  Check the PHP and Apache
sites for changes. "

This was an old note from On Sun, May 11, 2003

I assume that you used the latest version when you built the packages.

On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at 02:26 PM, Margaret Doll wrote:

> Thanks.  I hate to go through all the building, but that's what I will
> have to try.  Perhaps the apache rpm was not built to handle the php
> functionality.
>

> On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at 02:18 PM, rufusss2001 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I had same problem when installing  apache and php from rpms,so i
>> installed from source. I installed apache2 and php from source and
>> mysql from rpms and everything works great.
>>
>> In a message dated 7/13/2004 11:56:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>> Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I am not able to get php working with apache on
>>> RedHat 9.0.  I have read through the php documentation.  I am
>>> starting
>>> through the apache documentation.  Any ideas as to the problem?
>>>
>>> uname -r
>>> 2.4.20-30.9
>>>
>>> httpd -l
>>> Compiled in modules:
>>>   core.c
>>>   prefork.c
>>>   http_core.c
>>>   mod_so.c
>>>
>>> In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I added the next line after the loading
>>> of the other modules.
>>>
>>> LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so
>>>
>>> The AddType statements were already in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd/conf
>>>
>>> DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php index.php4
>>> index.php3 index.cgi
>>> <IfModule mod_php4.c>
>>>   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4 .php3 .phtml .php
>>>   AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
>>> <IfModule mod_php3.c>
>>>   AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
>>>   AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
>>> <IfModule mod_php.c>
>>>   AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml
>>>
>>> When I added the "AddModule" list as suggested in the php document
>>> listed below,
>>> httpd wouldn't start.
>>>
>>> "Apache 1.3 configuration directives found
>>>  please read /usr/share/doc/httpd-2.0.40/migration.html"
>>>
>>> I tried to view two test.php files
>>>
>>> more mad.php
>>> <head></head>
>>> <?php
>>> $myvar = "Hello World";
>>>         echo( $myvar);
>>> ?>
>>>
>>> I get a blank screen on this file.
>>>
>>>   and
>>> more test.php
>>> <?php phpinfo(); ?>
>>>
>>> I get a screen with "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" typed
>>> exactly on it.
>>>
>>> rpm -aq | grep httpd
>>> httpd-2.0.40-21.9
>>> redhat-config-httpd-1.0.1-18
>>> httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.9
>>> [root at chemps Software]# rpm -aq | grep php
>>> php-imap-4.2.2-17.2
>>> php-4.2.2-17.2
>>> php-ldap-4.2.2-17.2
>>> php-pgsql-4.2.2-17.2