linux not showing password login

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Wed Jul 14 00:52:49 UTC 2004

On July 13, 2004 05:37 am, Michelangelo Calatino wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  How can I set up my system so that it asks for a user or root passwd
> before starting or at KDE startup ?
> Now it directly starts with the only user account present.
>
> Thanks
>
> MiC

>------------------------------------ ing. Michelangelo Calatino
>

> If only God would give me some clear sign !
> Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank.
>
> Woody Allen, 1935-

It sound's like somehow the system has been set to iuse 'auto login'. That
means at boot it will go to the graphical login (for kde or gnome or...) and
then automaticly log in as a particular user.

There is a way to change it in KDE, but I'm not sure the exact process, so you
can edit the file "/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf"

Look for the "Timed login" section. Here is what mine looks like (the first
entry being the important one)

TimedLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=
TimedLoginDelay=30

Once set to false, on boot, yiou should be presented with a graphical login
that waits indefinately for valid userid & password.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce