virtual pop mail

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Thu Jul 15 14:16:55 UTC 2004

Nabin Limbu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using RH 9 with sendmail 8.12.8-9.90.  I would like to configure
> virutal pop mail for a new different domain so that I can have
> different /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files and a different mail
> directory for this new domain.
>
> Any documentation link?
>
> Regards
> Nabin Limbu

I could be wrong here, but I doubt if your requirements can be implemented
using a separate passwd/shadow file. Seems to me that your requirements now
call for implementing an architecture where all e-mail user account
information is retrieved/verified using a database like LDAP.

Sendmail can be configured to use LDAP:
   http://www.sendmail.org/m4/ldap.html

Pam can also be configured to use LDAP. A good starting point...

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/ch-lda
p.html

Steve Cowles