Spamassassin milter modifying message body

Eucke Warren euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Mon Jul 19 22:49:17 UTC 2004

> As of Dec. 2003, I have since switched to using postfix/SA as my MTA. But
> prior to this, I did use sendmail/spamass-milter/SA. In fact, I still
> maintain backups of my sendmail/spamass-milter/SA config files from my RH9
> system. Unfortunately, I can't tell what version of SA I was running at
that
> time. Probably the latest available rpm for RH9 (like 2.5x ?). I'm now
> running SA-2.63-8 on an FC2 system.
>
> For reference, my backup config files from my RH9 system...
>
> [root at excelsior mail]# pwd
> /home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/mail
>
> [root at excelsior mail]# grep spamass sendmail.mc
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock, F=,
> T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
>
> [root at excelsior sysconfig]# pwd
> /home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/sysconfig
>
> [root at excelsior sysconfig]# cat spamass-milter
> # Local spamass-milter config
> SM_SOCKET=/var/run/spamass.sock
> SM_EXTRA_FLAGS="-i 192.168.9.0/24"
>
> [root at excelsior sysconfig]# cat spamd
> # Add options for spamassassin (spamd)
> OPTIONS="-d -a -u nobody -L"
>
> [root at excelsior spamassassin]# pwd
> /home/scowles/backups/voyager/etc/mail/spamassassin
>
> <cut/paste from local.cf>
>
> rewrite_subject 0
> use_terse_reports 1
> report_safe 1
> skip_rbl_checks 1
>
> My SA config requirements are actually quite simple:
> 1) Only add the SA headers regarding spam
> 2) Do not modify the subject line (rewrite_subject)
> 3) If tagged as spam, encapsulate the email as an attachment (report_safe)
> 4) My MTA does RBL checking, so disable SA rbl checks.
>
> FWIW: I do remember changing the above SA config options during my testing
> phase. During this time, I don't remember having any problems with
> spamass-milter-0.2.0 not passing any change that SA made back to sendmail
> for final delivery. I initially wanted SA to rewrite the subject line, but
> figured out that testing the e-mail headers for the X-Spam-Status: Yes/No
> flag was a better approach.
>
> Hope the above helps
> Steve Cowles

Steve,

I appreciate the notes.  This really seems to me to be an issue realtive to
a feature in spamassassin that does not exist until the later version.  What
I am gathering is that the spamass-milter invokes spamassassin so I think my
focus is in the right area.  What I am finding is that there is something in
perl 5.8 that is broken relative to spamassassin 2.63.x.  I have tinkered
with the bugzilla workarounds but I cannot seem to make them work.

The results of the failure look as follows:

[root at mail spamassassin]# rpm -Uvh spamassassin-2.63-1.i386.rpm
warning: spamassassin-2.63-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
e580b363
error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Mail::SpamAssassin) is needed by spamassassin-2.63-1
        perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::CmdLearn) is needed by spamassassin-2.63-1
        perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::NetSet) is needed by spamassassin-2.63-1
        perl(Mail::SpamAssassin::NoMailAudit) is needed by
spamassassin-2.63-1
        perl-Mail-SpamAssassin = 2.63-1 is needed by spamassassin-2.63-1

I am running perl-5.8.0-88.3 and I am reticent to upgrade given all the
things that *can* breakthrough a perl upgrade though this is a pretty simple
setup.  These errors are new to me.  I would like very much to make this
work on my RH9 server as, once I figure it out I have a couple of other
operational servers that I intend to roll this out on.

I am dealing with a large population of  Outlook Express users and I really
need to take this along a certain path (i.e. mod subject line/leave message
body alone).  X headers won't help them.  I have seen a script which will
reset the priority of SPAM tagged messages so that could be used as a last
resort.  The ideal would be using the report_safe switch which is not
presently available with the 2.4x versions.

Other suggestions or observations on where I am making an error would be
great for getting 2.63 working on RH9!  Thank you again.

-Eucke