Mirror and/or copy

Wartnick, James James.Wartnick at bestbuy.com
Wed Jul 21 14:43:54 UTC 2004

	I have a server with 2 disks that are not mirrored. One contains
O/S files and the other contains database files.
I'm a bit concerned that the O/S disk may fail some day (the
disks/machine has run 24X7 for the past 2 years). I have
Enough room to put all files on one disk. I've read from the
documentation that is only possible to do O/S mirroring
at install time. Is that true? I would like to move all files from the
one disk to the other, and then start mirroring the
disks, without re-installing the O/S. Is that possible? Also, how "good"
is the RH mirroring (problems, bugs, etc.)?
Another option I'm considering is to leave things alone and buy a 3rd
disk. Then do a "dd" from the O/S disk to the
new disk, nightly. Will that allow the 3rd disk to be bootable? Somehow
I would have
to tell Lilo about the 3rd disk possibly being a boot disk. Is that
possible? I'm running RH 9.
Any help appreciated.

-Jim