upgrade firefox question

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:32:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Bob Smith wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> >Why not just use the RPM?  There's one for Fedora Core 2 at at
> >http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.stable/firefox-0.9.1-0.fdr.3.i386.rpm.
> >The obvious change to the above URL will get you the one for FC1.
> >

> Actually, there are times when you might want a parallel installation,
> such as checking backwards browser compatability.  Granted, it's not as
> much of an issue today as a couple of years ago, but for some situations
> it does come in handy.

Of course.  I have an installation from tarball of gcc 2.95.3 in
/usr/local for exactly that reason.  But there seems to be a tendency on
the part of some users to grab the tarball first and ask questions later.
That seems to me to defeat the whole point of having RPMs to begin with.
So unless there is a good reason not to, I try to recommend RPMs over
tarballs whenever possible (and checkinstall when it's not possible).

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu