verify rpm package as non-root user

Johnson, Shaunn sjohnson6 at bcbsm.com
Thu Jul 22 16:45:25 UTC 2004

Howdy:

Running RHEL 3.0 on x86 box.

I want to install some software as the non-root user
(Oracle packages) and the instructions require that
some packages should be installed (i.e., glibc-2.3.2-95.3).

As root, I see that glibc-2.3.2-95.3 is installed; as the
non-root user, the application can not access it and I
get the message:

[snip]
error: db4 error(13) from dbenv->open: Permission denied
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Permission denied (13)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
no packages
[/snip]

According to the docs, I'm supposed to be the non-root user
when installing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-X