preferred web environment

Bob Smith bob at netprt.com
Thu Jul 22 17:11:41 UTC 2004

I'm using RH9, so I can't answer your question vis EL AS.   However, if
you are going to support application work moving forward, then at a
minimum Apache 2.0 and Tomcat 5.  There are significant organizational
improvements in Apache 2.x over 1.3, and support for application servers
is predominately being focused on 2.0.  In application circles, 1.3 is
considered EOL, as is Tomcat 4.x.

Tomcat 5 provides the latest servlet engine and JSP support, and
reasonable connectors to Apache and other webservers.

JBoss provides Apache 2.0, I believe, in its latest release, and I'm not
entirely sure which tomcat engine is runs, but 5 should work there as
well.  JBoss provides you with a bundle of it's latest working
environment, if you want to go with a one-shot solution.

If you are looking to support a J2EE and EJB capable environment, then
JBoss is the answer.  Otherwise, you can provide non-EJB equivalent
application environment easily with Apache 2.0.x and Tomcat-Jakarta 5.x.

-Bob