imap server comparisons

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Thu Jul 22 17:31:53 UTC 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Lloyd H. Meinholz wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up an IMAP server for my company. I'm
> using postfix and am happy with that. I googled unsuccessfully for a
> comparison of the OS IMAP servers that I know of (UW, Cyrus, Courier
> and
> Dovecot). Does anyone have any strong opinions, pointers or advice on
> picking one of the servers?

I don't have any experience with Dovecot.  I prefer Courier based on
the Maildir format and its ease of installation and configuration.  Of
course, you'll find just as many people claiming the same of Cyrus.  I
appreciate that the Courier developers have seen kindly as to allow
easily rpm building from the source tarball.  Starting with Cyrus-SASL
2.1.18(?), it supports the authdaemond authentication method as well.

HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting